Captain FTP 1.2 released|
Macworld, 18 Mar 2002
by Peter Cohen
Xnet Communication GmbH has announced the release of Captain FTP 1.2. The software is billed as having been "designed from scratch for Mac OS X".
As the name implies, Captain FTP is a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) client for the Macintosh. The software enables Macintosh users running Mac OS X to transfer files to and from Internet servers that support FTP.
According to the developer, enhancements in Captain FTP 1.2 include:
- double click on local file starts upload and download procedure
- double click on local file while pressing option key opens the file
- keyboard and mouse-scroll support
- personalized address book (supports Mac OS X security)
- simple remote and local login path setting
- port specifications for a connection
- firewall (proxy server) support
- interface items improvements
- face lifting (new logo, Captain FTP caption, buttons and more)
The developer indicates bugs have been fixed, too.
Introduced back in December, Captain FTP has been download more than 15,000 times, according to Xnet. The software sports the ability to maintain an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
Captain FTP is free for non-commercial use. It requires Mac OS X.